Tips to initiate water conservation
Date of Publishing: 2011-05-27 00:00:00.0
Come January every year, Pune residents start facing water shortage. It has been a regular feature of our lives since the past few years. Every time such a situation arises, we start blaming PMC.
However, none of us resort to simple measures to tide over water shortage and help preserve this precious natural resource. Rainwater Harvesting and Water Conservation are simple methods to conserve the water as well as help the local environment thrive.
A step to conserve water is the step to secure the future. The most essential among all the natural resources on earth is water. A drop of water is worth more than a sack of gold for the thirsty man. If each one of us makes efforts to save water today, it will save us later. Water conservation is the most effective and environmentally sound method to fight global warming. Water conservation can reduce the scarcity of water. It aims to promote efficient use of water, reduce losses and waste.
Tips to save water
- Avoid leakage of water from taps.1 drop per second amounts to loss of 10220 liters /year.
- Turn the tap off when not in use, especially when you brush your teeth or wash clothes.
- Rainwater harvesting is another method to conserve water.
- Check leakage of water in toilets. Also, plug hidden water leaks.
- Promote the conservation of water through media and wall posters.
- Never throw away water that can be used for gardening and cleaning.
- Avoid flushing toilets unnecessarily. Dispose off tissues, cigarettes, and other waste into bin instead of dumping them in toilets.
- Use minimum amount of water to bathe.
- Pour only as much water as you need when you fill your glass of water. A lot of us take only a sip and waste the rest of water.
- Water your lawn only when needed.
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean sidewalks or to wash your car.
- Plug water leaks; repair the fault as soon as possible.
- You can use water-efficient washing machines to wash clothes.
- Do not leave the tap running while washing dishes in the kitchen.
- l Install small showerheads to reduce the flow of water.
Benefits of conserving water
- If you save water, you can save on your bills.
- Leads to reduction in water use, cuts waste water flows, especially overflowing of gutters, which contaminates the environment.
- Environment benefits include eco-system equilibrium and habitat protection.
- Helps in improving the quality of your drinking water.
– Col S G Dalvi, Director, Parjanya